Bristol A.R.C.’s advice to keep your animals cool in the heat wave
While you’re outside enjoying our unexpected weather, it’s so important to spare a thought for your furry friends. Here’s a few tips from Bristol Animal Rescue Centre to help keep them cool while temperatures climb:
- Never leave animals in hot cars, caravans or conservatories even if just for a short while. Temperatures can quickly rise to fatal levels. If you spot a dog in distress in a hot car, dial 999 immediately.
- Ensure that all animals have access to fresh drinking water to keep them hydrated. Pop a few ice cubes in their bowl to keep it cold.
- Damp towels for your pet to lie on or an ice pack wrapped up in a towel will be welcome relief to your pet.
- Don’t walk your dog when the sun is at its hottest. Walk them early morning or late at night when the pavement is cooler and the sun isn’t beating down.
- Dogs might appreciate a paddling pool to splash around in. Bristol A.R.C. residents Jess and Wolfey certainly do!
- Ensure outside rabbits have plenty of shade to shelter from the sun. Clean them out regularly to avoid flies.